Alekto will focus initially on access to justice projects in the north-eastern region of Colombia. The project will be run in partnership with the Colectivo de Abogados Luis Carlos Perez (CALCP), a collective of human rights lawyers that work with indigenous groups, internally displaced people and rural communities.
• To provide legal services for victims
of human rights abuses
• To increase communities’ knowledge and understanding of their rights and legal status
• To protect the cultural and natural heritage of the Motilon Bari communities, an indigenous people native to the region
• To enable communities to protect their environment and promote environmental rights
• To improve the quality of legal services available to communities affected by violence
• To increase awareness in the international arena of the issues faced by communities affected by violence.
Judith Maldonado at work in the Bucaramanga office